You are here

How Do I…?

teacher and student working together on a computer


There are many questions that come in through our office, and we have compiled a list to assist you better.

Many commonly-asked questions can be answered through the links below and on other pages of this web site. For additional information, stop in the SFA Office of Advising & Academic Services, 107 Montague Hall. 

Many additional Registration and Financial Aid forms can be found on the UMD One Stop Forms page.

Apply for a scholarship

Many scholarships are available to incoming freshmen and current students at UMD. Some scholarships require that a student have a financial need or meet certain criteria; others are based upon demonstrated talents or abilities. Most of the scholarships for incoming freshmen can be applied for with the general UMD Scholarship Application, available from the UMD Office of Admissions. Listings of scholarships both for freshmen and for current UMD students can be found on the UMD Financial Aid office’s Scholarship web page. Additionally, each department within the School of Fine Arts has many talent scholarships for returning students - see our Scholarships page for a complete listing, and stop in at each department’s home office for applications.

Apply for a UROP Grant

The University of Minnesota’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) offers financial awards twice yearly to full time undergraduates for research, scholarly, or creative projects undertaken in partnership with a faculty member. The program encourages students to conduct research and pursue academic interests outside of their regular courses by employing them to work on special research projects. School of Fine Arts students are eligible and encouraged to apply. Complete information for the program is available on the UMD UROP site.

Apply for financial aid

UMD encourages all students to apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is used to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). This figure then is used by UMD to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and campus-based financial aid programs. To be considered for financial aid at UMD, you must complete a FAFSA for the current year, either online (FAFSA on the Web) or by using a paper application available at the Student Assistance Center
or from your high school guidance counselor. UMD recommends that you complete your FAFSA early. Some financial aid programs have limited funding and deadline requirements. If you apply late, you may lose eligibility for some awards. Please review the UMD Financial Aid application website for additional guidelines.

Apply for graduation

Once you have completed 90 credits, you can complete a Degree Application. Apply for the term in which you expect to complete all your degree requirements (i.e., last term of enrollment). Apply up to one year before you expect to complete all degree requirements. You must apply no later than the deadline for each term. Ensure that the major(s) and minor(s) you are completing are declared on the system. Filing an Application for Degree does not guarantee you tickets for the undergraduate commencement ceremony. For more information, see the Application for Undergraduate Degree FAQ.

Calculate my GPA

You can calculate either your current semester GPA or your cumulative GPA by using this online tool.

Change from a different UMD college into School of Fine Arts (or vice versa)

Submit an electronic Change of College application if you want to change majors from one collegiate unit to another within UMD (i.e. from the College of Liberal Arts to the School of Fine Arts)

Change to a different UM system campus

Complete a Change of Campus form if you want to request a change from your current University of Minnesota campus to a different undergraduate program and campus at the University
Submit the Change of Campus form to the correct campus by mail, as indicated on the form.

Change my expected graduation term

If you have previously applied to graduate and need your Expected Graduation Term changed, complete the UMD Request to Change Expected Graduation Term.

Change my major/minor

Visit your home department office (Art & Design: 317 Humanities; Music: 231 Humanities; Theatre: 141 MPAC) or the SFA Office of Advising & Academic Services (107 Montague) to pick up a Change of Major form. Clearly indicate on the form which major/minor you wish to drop, as well as which major/minor you wish to add. Return the completed form to the SFA Office of Advising & Academic Services (107 Montague Hall). Personnel will determine whether or not your desired department is accepting new students and then will change your record if approved. Students from outside the School of Fine Arts who are interested in changing to a major within the School of Fine Arts must complete a Change of College form (see related question).

For adding/dropping minors only, you may opt instead to complete the SFA Minors Online Form.

File an amendment to my APAS (Academic Progress Audit System) report

School of Fine Arts students can complete APAS Amendment forms (available online, in department home offices or in the SFA Office of Advising & Academic Services, 107 Montague Hall) to request the following kinds of changes on their academic records (all must be approved by faculty advisor and/or department head):

  • Transfer Course Substitution - a transfer course from another college/university to substitute for a required course within the major at UMD 
  • Course Substitution - an elective course within the major to substitute for a required course within the major 
  • Catalog Year Specification - students may choose to fulfill degree requirements identified in any combination of UMD catalogs that have been in effect since entering a college or university and within eight years previous to graduation from UMD. 
  • Course Waiver - waiver of a required course

Find out who my advisor is

Visit your home department office (Art & Design: 317 Humanities; Music: 231 Humanities; Theatre: 141 MPAC) to learn your advisor’s name and contact information. Your faculty advisor is also listed on your APAS (Academic Progress Audit System) report, your transcript, and your Graduation Planner.

Graduate with Honors

At UMD, 15 percent of the graduating class of each college can graduate with latin honors. In SFA, the top 3% of the class graduates summa cum laude; the next 5% graduates magna cum laude; and the next 7% graduates cum laude. At the beginning of each year, the GPAs necessary to achieve these honors are posted on the bulletin board outside 212 Humanities. The GPAs are based on the previous spring semester graduating class. To be eligible for honors, students must earn at least 30 credits from UMD.

Join a club/organization

Although studying and classroom activities are obviously a major part of college life, many students and graduates report that their involvement in additional clubs and campus organizations has been one of the most enjoyable and memorable aspects of their time at UMD. Exploring your interests beyond the classroom is a wonderful way to learn about new ideas, stay active, and make lasting friendships. The Kirby Student Center maintains a complete listing of more than 150 registered student organizations in several categories. Check out specific fine arts clubs & organizations by asking at each SFA department or checking their bulletin boards. Though some organizations are limited to students within a particular major, many are open to the entire student population.

Re-enroll after having been away

If you were previously enrolled in the School of Fine Arts but have not been enrolled at UMD for the past two semesters (or longer), you need to complete a Request for Readmission/Return from Leave of Absence.

Register for classes

Once you have created your tentative schedule, met with your faculty advisor, and obtain any necessary permission, you can register at your scheduled registration date and time (or later).

Review instructions on the Enroll in a class page and then log in at the MyU Portal to proceed.

Remove an Advising Hold

School of Fine Arts students are required to meet with their faculty advisors each semester prior to registration. Until that meeting has occurred, an SFA Advising Hold prevents online registration. Do you see a hold listed on your record even though you’ve already had your advisor meeting? Don’t panic - check the “effective date” of the hold, which may be a future date that will not prevent your registration for the current semester. If this is not the case, visit the SFA Office of Advising & Academic Services, 107 Montague Hall.

Request a different advisor

Visit your home department office (Art & Design: 317 Humanities; Music: 231 Humanities; Theatre: 141 MPAC) to request a faculty advisor change

Withdraw from a course/courses or from the University

To drop an individual course, see the OneStop page for course drop information and refund schedules. Medical withdrawals from one course or all courses require completion of a petition. Documentation by a medical professional is also required. Please see Stacy Crawford, Academic Advisor, (218-213-8436,, 107 Montague Hall) for assistance with the medical withdrawal process. Complete withdrawal from the university after the 10th week of class is not generally permitted. Anyone considering complete withdrawal at any time during the semester should see Stacy Crawford, Academic Advisor (218-213-8436,, 107 Montague Hall).