You are here

Faculty Resources

student and teacher working on a computer


The School of Fine Arts at UMD is a vibrant place to work among some of the most creative and inspiring individuals and programs in the region.

In addition to fulfilling the teaching and academic support missions of the university, faculty have the opportunity to explore their own research and creative interests through state-of-the-art technologies and access to scholarly and financial resources.

Explore the Related Links on this site for important dates and deadlines as well as resources for faculty advisement, curriculum changes, and grants & research

Faculty Advising for the School of Fine Arts

The University of Minnesota Duluth supports faculty advising. Every student is assigned a faculty advisor and, in the School of Fine Arts, is required to meet with the advisor at least once each semester to discuss academic planning and progress towards degree. Because faculty advisors are experts in the field of study, they are excellent mentors for students and are instrumental in career and future planning.

Advising Pedagogy and UMD Advising Student Learning Outcomes

Understanding the Advisor's and Advisee's Role

Academic Standing / Probation & Dismissal

Students must have a 2.00 minimum cumulative UMD GPA to be in good academic standing in SFA. Students with a GPA below the minimum are placed on academic warning or probation. Students on academic probation are subject to dismissal if they do not repair their cumulative GPA within one semester. Students should consider a lighter load or repeating "D" or "F" courses to improve the GPA. All students on probation are required to meet with Stacy Crawford, SFA's Academic Advisor (; 218-726-8436; 111 Montague Hall).

Change of College

Students may process a transfer from one collegiate unit to another by filing a Change of College form, available online or at the SFA Advising & Academic Services office, 107 Montague Hall.

Course Substitutions/Waivers

The APAS (Academic Progress Audit System) tracks the student's progress in completing all requirements for the degree program. The APAS is used to clear degrees for posting; thus it is critical that any course substitutions and/or waivers that are approved for the student be entered to the APAS system. Use the Amendment to the APAS form (available in each department or in the SFA Advising & Academic Services office, 107 Montague) to request modification to a student's individual APAS.

Dean's List

Students who complete 12 graded semester credits with a term GPA of 3.5 or higher are placed on the SFA Dean's List. A notation is made on the student's transcript for that term. Incompletes, missing grades, Ns, and Fs in a given term disqualify a student from eligibility.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) allows school officials to share personally identifiable information from student education records (like grades or reports of misconduct) with other school officials who have a legitimate educational interest. It does NOT allow school officials (faculty or staff) to share any student education information with parents, other family members, or the public without a specific signed waiver from the student.

In an emergency, FERPA permits school officials to disclose without student consent education records, including personally identifiable information from those records, to protect the health and safety of students or other individuals. At such times, records and information may be released to appropriate parties such as law enforcement officials, public health officials, and trained medical personnel.

If you have further questions about FERPA, please contact Stacy Crawford ( in the SFA Advising & Academic Services Office, 218-726-8436.

Grade Point Averages

There are three grade points averages of concern to students: the UMD GPA, the overall GPA, and the major GPA.

  • The UMD GPA is the grade point average of all work attempted at UMD. The UMD GPA appears on the UMD transcript and appears on all inquiry screens in the PeopleSoft records system.

  • The overall GPA is the grade point average of all work attempted at UMD plus all transfer credit that has been accepted at UMD. The overall GPA is what appears on the student’s APAS report.

  • The major GPA is the grade point average of all work (UMD and accepted transfer credits) that meets a requirement within the major.


Service Indicators (holds) are placed on student records for a number of reasons and with a variety of consequences. Students can get information about any holds on their records by logging into the student portal.

SFA hold (SFA Advisor Meeting Required)

This is an advising hold and is used to ensure that the student sees his/her faculty advisor each semester before registration. The hold is released each semester by the department staff on recommendation of the faculty advisor, after that meeting.

P1 or P2 (Academic Probation Hold)

This hold is placed on a student’s record when they are on probation (see details above). All students on probation are required to meet with Stacy Crawford, SFA's Academic Advisor (; 218-726-8436; 111 MonH).

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade ("I") may be assigned by a faculty member when circumstances have prevented a student from completing specific requirements for the class. The faculty member may set a deadline for completion of the work. If the "I" grade has not been changed to a regular grade within a year, it will automatically lapse to an "F" grade. Contact your department regarding Incomplete policies or for a contract to use as an agreement with a student.

Latin Honors

At UMD, 15 percent of the graduating class of each college can graduate with latin honors. In SFA, the top 3% of the class graduates summa cum laude; the next 5% graduates magna cum laude; and the next 7% graduates cum laude. At the beginning of each year, the GPAs necessary to achieve these honors are posted on the bulletin board outside 212 Humanities. The GPAs are based on the previous spring semester graduating class. To be eligible for honors, students must earn at least 30 credits from UMD.


Students may file a petition for exception to any university policy. The petition includes a precise statement of the action being requested and documentation of the reason why the petition should be granted. Signatures appropriate to the petition must be secured before the form is submitted to Advising & Academic Services. Petitions are scrutinized closely in Advising & Academic Services before action is taken to verify that the circumstances provided by the student warrant an exception to policy. The final decision on petitions is made in the Office of the Registrar. Forms are available online or in the SFA Advising & Academic Services office, 107 Montague.

Program Declaration

It is important that students have their correct intended major, minor, or emphasis on record. Change of Major / Minor forms are available in each department or in the SFA Advising & Academic Services office, 107 Montague.

Repeating Courses

Students may repeat courses in which they have received a grade below C-. Department approval is required for a student to repeat a course with a grade of C- or higher. Forms (available in the SFA Advising & Academic Services Office,107 Montague) should be filed as soon as the student registers to repeat the class. At the end of the term of the repeat, the attempted credits and grade points for the first attempt are removed from the GPA calculation and replaced with the credits and grade points from the second attempt.

UMD Policy states that only the last grade recorded is used in calculating the U of M GPA.

Withdrawal after the Tenth Week

University policy prevents student withdrawal from class later than the end of the tenth week of the semester. Students who wish to withdraw after the tenth week must do so by filing a petition and must be doing satisfactory work in the class. Petitions are granted for extenuating circumstances only.

Approved examples:

  • Recommendation for complete medical withdrawl with appropriate documentation from medical personnel.

  • A doctor's note indicating a student was hospitalized and could not attend school for five days. During those five days a project and exam were due and because of the content and structure of the course, the work could not be made up. The arrangements to make up the missed work was not an option. The instructor must sign indicating the course work cannot be made up.

  • Dated documentation from current employer stating an increase in work hours. Document must state when new hours began and what they are.

  • Dated documentation regarding a family emergency. Parents or guardians must provide documentation.

  • Student thought they had withdrawn from course before the tenth week. (Advising & Academic Services will review the registration transactions to verify an attempt to withdraw. If there is none, the petition will be denied.)

Denied examples:

  • Major has changed and student no longer needs the course

  • Student is performing poorly in the course