You are here
develop your talent
It is time to pursue your passion and prepare for the world. The Department of Music offers you a map for your journey.
Music at UMD
- Music is a vital part of your life.
- Making music gives you satisfaction and purpose.
- The art of music is a significant part of the human experience.
- Music provides a rewarding and exciting career as a performer, composer or teacher.
The music programs at the University of Minnesota Duluth are the place for you to develop the necessary musicianship, skills, and knowledge to succeed.
Why The University of Minnesota Duluth?
Making your choice about a musical home is important. UMD gives you a professional atmosphere combined with a feeling of belonging to an exciting and dynamic music community.
- The mission of the Department of Music is to provide students with the highest quality musical instruction, preparing them for careers as teachers, creators, and performers of music. Music students and faculty play a leading role in offering cultural and artistic enrichment to the campus, community, and Northern Minnesota region. All units in the School of Fine Arts are committed to demanding standards of performance in both classroom and artistic endeavors, and to assisting students to make informed and gratifying professional choices about their future as members of the musical world.
- UMD music faculty care about your musical growth, and help you achieve your full musical potential.
- UMD 's music faculty to student ratio is very attractive. Because classes are small, you are a person, not a number.
- UMD music programs are flexible and offer you a range of degree emphases, ensemble opportunities, and independent study possibilities.
- UMD music students may qualify for one of numerous music scholarships.
- UMD music faculty members enjoy regional, national and international reputations as performers, composers and educators.
- UMD graduates succeed. They become creative and productive teachers, performers, composers, arrangers, and studio musicians.